Female Genital Mutilation Lunchtime Briefing
Target Group: Any professional working with children and young people in the Borough of Lewisham.
Trainer: Shani Hassan – African Advocacy Foundation
Time of Session: 12:00 - 14:00
Venue: Will be confirmed in the booking confirmation email.
Dates: 30th June 2017
11th January 2018
Delegates: 50 places
Aims & Objectives
- Understanding FGM
- Social and cultural normalities that enable it’s practice.
- FGM, human rights and UK law;
- Risk factors and warning signs that a person has undergone FGM;
- Advice on working sensitively with suspected child abuse cases, and signposting to local specialist support services.
- In-depth reasons from the practicing communities’ perspective
- Health implications,
- Faith and cultural beliefs,
- Effective ways of identifying and supporting victims/survivors and their families and prevent harm to those at risk, i.e. girls and women from practicing communities
- The session will also include a Q&A.