The Lewisham Safeguarding Children’s Board (LSCB) brings together all the main organisations who work with children and families in Lewisham, with the aim of ensuring that they work together effectively to keep children safe.
The core legislation underpinning the work of the LSCB is the Children Act 1989 and the Children Act 2004. The LSCB’s objectives, as set out in Working Together to Safeguard Children 2015, are:
- to co-ordinate the work of agencies to safeguard children and promote the welfare of children within Lewisham
- to ensure the effectiveness of safeguarding children in Lewisham
Structure of the LSCB
The LSCB has a number of Task Groups, which drive forward the work and priorities of the Board:
- The Communications and Publicity (C&P) Task Group are responsible for communicating and raising awareness of the need to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and how this can best be done by agencies, children and young people, families and the community.
- The Monitoring, Evaluation and Service Improvement (MESI) Task Group are responsible for monitoring and evaluating the effectiveness of the work done by agencies both individually and collectively to safeguard and promote the welfare of children. This is by means of a comprehensive performance framework, section 11 audit process as well as themed multi-agency audits.
- The Policies, Procedures and Training (PPT) Task Group are responsible for developing policies and procedures and ensuring that multi-agency training on safeguarding is provided in order to meet local needs. This includes lessons learnt from serious case reviews, management reviews and themed audits.
- The Child Death Overview Panel (CDOP) reviews the deaths of all children in Lewisham: this became a statutory duty in April 2008. CDOP exists for 2 main reasons; one, in order to ascertain whether there are any safeguarding issues in relation to the individual child that has died or other children and two, to learn from the deaths of children in order to prevent future deaths.
- The Missing, Exploitation and Trafficking (MET) Task Group is responsible for ensuring a co-ordinated, multi-agency response to children at risk of sexual exploitation, going missing or being exploited and or trafficked. The group maintains a strategic oversight and develop and monitor the Lewisham MET strategy and action plan.
- The Case Review Panel is a multi-agency group tasked with meeting when there is concern about a case and a serious case review (SCR) may need to be considered. When the criteria for a serious case review is not met but there are possible learning / key issues arising from the case, the panel will conduct a multi-agency case review to ensure actions are taken and lessons are learnt from the case to ensure children are safeguarded. When the criteria for a SCR is met, a SCR Panel is established with members from appropriate services involved with the case in question.
Interim Task Groups
- The Interim Neglect Task & Finish Group is a timed multi-agency group focusing specifically on a key LSCB Priority, tackling neglect. The remit of this group is ensure the Partnership understands the LSCB Neglect Strategy, there is consistent use of the Neglect toolkit, and any learning from Neglect audits is shared across the Partnership.
LSCB Priorities & Task Groups 2017-2019
Child Death Overview Panel Annual Report 2016-17
LSCB Annual Report 2015-2016
LSCB Annual Report 2016-2017
The LSCB Business Unit:
Nicky Pace, Independent Chair
Adeolu Solarin, Business Manager
Nikki Thorpe, Development Officer
Eileen Bezuidenhout, Administrator
Address: 5th Floor, Laurence House, 1 Catford Road, London SE6 4RU
Tel: 020 8314 3396