COVID-19 Information for Volunteering
To address the unprecedented Public Health challenge that we are facing, the voluntary and community sector are coming together to serve the needs of Lewisham residents.
Lewisham Local, Voluntary Services Lewisham and Age UK Lewisham & Southwark are working with Lewisham Council and local partners in the community to coordinate a response so that help can be given to the most vulnerable in our communities.
Lewisham Local’s response will focus on:
- The provision of accurate, up to date information
- The delivery of food and wider supplies to vulnerable individuals
- Befriending and social isolation support, using phone and IT techniques wherever possible
- Support to those who are looking to volunteer or assist directly in their local area
- Providing toolkits for community action to ensure that people are safe as they support each otherFor information and advice click on the link Lewisham Local or call 03330 150378. The phone number will be charged at the standard network rate but calls from mobiles may be higher (please check with your provider).
Volunteers during the COVID-19 period may come across children or adults in a variety of situations who may be vulnerable to exploitation or at risk of harm. Concerns should be reported to your line manager who will in turn make a report to the Lewisham Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub. For more information visit our Early Help & MASH Website Page
Volunteers may also feel uncomfortable or worried about behaviour they experience from people in the community that are trying to assist.
Please take the time to watch this 3 minute video, which provides information about what to do if you are worried about something you have seen or experienced whilst volunteering.
If you See Something, Say Something YouTube Video
With thanks to Waltham Forest Council
GOV.UK - How to Help Safely
GOV.UK - Safeguarding Factsheet: Community Volunteering during COVID-19