GUIDELINES FOR PROFESSIONALS / AGENCIES / PARENTS
These guidelines are intended for any parent, professional or agency wishing to make a referral to Lewisham Young Carers Service on behalf of a child or young person within a caring role. Please read these guidelines carefully before completing the attached referral forms.
Who can you make a referral for?
Any Young Carer between the ages of 5 and 18 can be referred to our services that are residents or their cared for is someone who lives within the borough of Lewisham:
- Providing care or support for someone with a physical disability, long term illness, mental ill health or substance misuse.
- Is affected by the condition of their cared for.
We will prioritise the service to young carers with the highest need as a result of the significant impact of the caring role and level of caring responsibilities.
The level of priority for each Young Carers may fluctuant throughout the lifetime of their involvement in the service due to sudden changes in their caring situation.
How to make a referral?
Please complete all the pages of our Referral Form and send to:
Waldram Place, Forest Hill
London, SE23 2LB
Tel: 0208 699 8686 | Fax: 0208 699 0634
What happens now?
On receipt of the referral we will look at the information you have given us and prioritise the need for assessment. The outcome will be either:
- Young carer does not meet the criteria for a young carer and no assessment will take place.
- Young carer is allocated to a member of the young carers team for a home visit.
- Further information is needed from the referrer before processing any further.
Referrers will be informed of the outcome via telephone or email within 4 weeks. If you have not heard from us please contact us on 0208 699 8686.
If allocated for assessment, a young carers support officer will make contact with the family to arrange a home visit to gain better understanding about the young carer’s family’s situation and decide on what support services they will be offered.
If you have any questions throughout the referral or assessment process, please do not hesitate to contact us.